Skip Navigation
Office of the Provost

Faculty Leaves of Absence

The By-Laws of the University of Connecticut provide language on leaves of absences. Access to forms, additional guidelines on medical leaves, and emergency leaves from campus are available through Human Resources and the University Policy website. Faculty are encouraged to work closely with their Departmental and Dean's offices in planning and coordinating a leave of absence to ensure compliance with all University policies and procedures.

COVID-19 Considerations

Regulations Regarding Leave of Absence

Upon Return from Sabbatical Leave

Following sabbatical, individuals are obligated to return to active service at the University for a minimum of one year. Department administrators should remain aware of this policy and notify the HR leave administrator if it is ever the case that a faculty member does not return from leave or leaves the University within one year.

Leave Without Pay

Leaves of absence without pay may be granted in the interests of professional growth and improvement of the staff member concerned. Leaves of absence without pay require sign off from the President for those units which report to the President or by the Provost for those units which report to the Provost. All such cases are treated as special cases and are in the first instance, ordinarily granted for up to a year.

Employment Relationship

While on leave, faculty are considered to be conducting work in full service to the University. No faculty member on leave can be in a tenured position at another institution. If a faculty member requests unpaid leave to take a tenured position at another institution, explicit justification and approval by the Provost is required.

No employee of the University of Connecticut shall receive leave with pay for service in any elective political office.

Sabbatical Leave

Job Aid: Submitting a Sabbatical Leave Request

Sabbatical Leave and Eligibility

Sabbatical leaves are granted on application for the purpose of the advancement of knowledge or professional improvement of mutual benefit to the University and the individual. Following sabbatical, individuals are obligated to return to active service at the University for a minimum of one year. The applicant should file a specific written application accompanied by a statement as to how the leave is to be used. This application should be approved by the department head, the dean or director, and the Provost or the appropriate Vice President, who will in turn submit it to the Board of Trustees with his/her recommendation.

The privilege is open to all full-time teachers who have at least the rank of assistant professor or corresponding rank and who have been in continuous full-time service at the institution for at least six years. Following a grant of sabbatical leave, the privilege may be renewed after an additional period of continuous full-time service of at least six years. Exceptions in regard to continuous service may be made upon recommendation of the Provost or the appropriate Vice President and the approval of the Board of Trustees or the Board of Directors.

Compensation on Sabbatical Leave

Leave may be taken for the full period at half pay or for up to half the period at full pay. After each period of eligibility in which a sabbatical leave is taken, whether for all or a portion of the period, there must be at least six years of continuous full-time service before the next eligibility period. Thus, the timing of eligibility periods is not affected by whether leave is taken for a full period at half pay or for up to half the period at full pay. Faculty members in tenure track positions are not eligible for sabbatical leave before the last year of their probationary periods.

Leave for faculty members employed on an eleven months’ basis or for faculty in the Schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine may be for a period of up to six months with full pay or for a period up to twelve months with half pay.

Consulting During Sabbatical Leave

Sabbatical leave, whether at full or reduced pay, is considered full-time service, and therefore, persons on sabbatical leave are not permitted to engage in paid employment elsewhere. If a staff member is considering an arrangement in which he/she will receive compensation for services from the University and from outside agencies which will together exceed his/her regular University salary, the faculty member is subject to the Faculty Consulting Policy and applicable University Bylaws and policies.

Faculty must seek pre-approval for all consulting activities that occur during a sabbatical leave. Consulting may not interfere with the objectives of the sabbatical and faculty may not perform activities in a consulting capacity when faculty should, or could perform them through State service. Consulting is not an avenue to avoid compensation limits from UConn or to seek outside employment while on sabbatical leave.

Upon Return from Sabbatical

Sabbatical leaves are granted in the expectation that the recipient will resume his/her previous duties at the end of the leave. Ordinarily the staff member will return at the same rank and salary which he/she had when the leave began. This understanding, however, is subject to the qualification (which applies in the same degree to those in residence) that the Board may sometimes find it necessary to change the compensation or duties of some or all staff members because of changes in enrollment, financial exigencies, or other circumstances beyond its control. The grant of leave does not change the tenure-status of the recipient.

After leave has been taken, a written report of the work done shall be made to the officer who approved the leave through the department head and the dean or director.

Summer Salary

Faculty on half-pay, calendar year sabbaticals may earn up to an additional 50% of their full time 9-month salary during the spring and fall semester as long as it is 1) paid entirely by sponsored programs, 2) in line with sabbatical research, and 3) allowed by the sponsor. Earnings should be paid during the spring and fall at the time the work takes place. In addition, they may earn 3 full months of summer salary on special payroll during the summer months (5/23-8/22), assuming it again meets the criteria listed above.

Research Leave

Job Aid: Submitting a Faculty Leave Request

Research leaves are for work conducted in line with the individual’s research portfolio. The effort or deliverable that results from the leave benefits the university. This effort, even if unpaid, is considered active service to the university.

Research leaves typically involve affiliation with a prestigious research organization – examples include a Fulbright fellowship, Mellon fellowship, or other prestigious organization that advances the University’s reputation, non-tenured visiting professorships on a case-by-case basis, and other affiliation arrangements as reviewed and approved by the Department Head, Dean, and Provost.

Military Leave

Job Aid: Submitting a Military Leave Request

Members of the professional staff are eligible for military leave consistent with applicable state and federal law. Part-time employees will be granted such leave if they have worked the equivalent of six months or more full time. Thus, an employee would become eligible after twelve months of half-time employment, etc.

Sick Leave for Faculty — With or Without Pay

Job Aid: Submitting an FMLA or other Medical Leave of Absence

Each case is considered separately and involves careful consideration of length of service, nature of the illness, and anticipated length of disability. Application for sick leave should be made not later than ten days after the staff member’s return to work.