Feeling Well: The Science and Practice of Emotional Well Being
Special Topics: Feeling Well: The Science and Practice of Emotional Well-Being
Monday, October 16th - Friday, December 8th, 2023
Feeling, being, and doing well can be really hard. Both individually and collectively, it can sometimes seem that there are endless barriers that keep us from thriving and feeling our best selves. This 1-credit course explores the science and practice of emotional well-being, defined as how positive an individual feels generally and about life overall. We will define the components to emotional well-being, which include the emotional quality of everyday moments as well as judgments such as life satisfaction, meaning, and goal pursuit. We will explore the interdependence across individuals, communities, and systems that contribute to emotional well-being, and will share effective strategies to enhance emotional well-being.
By the completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Define the components of emotional well-being
- Identify how the brain and body are connected to emotional well-being.
- Identify the connections across individuals, communities, and systems that contribute to emotional well-being.
- Recognize effective practices to enhance emotional well-being.
The course is comprised of seven (7) modules which include the following topics:
- Module 1: Defining Emotional Well-Being and Its Contributors and Consequences Across Life
- Module 2: Emotional Well-Being and Connections to the Brain
- Module 3: Positive Affect
- Module 4: Meaning and Purpose
- Module 5: Life Satisfaction
- Module 6: Goal Pursuit that Includes Self and Extending Beyond the Self
- Module 7: Integration and Course Wrap-Up
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Course Information
Review Frequently Asked Questions regarding the course
Emotional Well-Being at UConn
Contact us at EmotionalWellBeing@uconn.edu