New Faculty Orientation
August 26, 2021
Welcome to UConn!
As a new member of UConn’s community of more than 2,000 faculty members, you are joining one of the nation’s top public research universities at an exciting time. Founded in 1881 as Connecticut’s land-grant institution, UConn has grown from humble origins to become a dynamic enterprise. We serve more than 30,000 students on our Storrs and regional campuses at Avery Point, Hartford, Stamford, and Waterbury, as well as our law school and UConn Health, our academic medical center.
Over the past 25 years, thanks in large part to a series of major investments by the state of Connecticut, UConn has grown both physically and in academic stature. We have added state-of-the-art research facilities, teaching spaces, and student housing, while attracting the most diverse and academically accomplished student body in University history and enhancing the size and quality of a distinguished faculty. As we look to the future, we are pursuing ever-higher standards of excellence while remaining true to the core values of public higher education we have embraced since our founding. Our faculty will define our future, and we are excited to have you with us for the journey.
Thomas Katsouleas, President
Carl Lejuez, Provost
About New Faculty Orientation
Welcome to UConn! New Faculty Orientation 2021 will take place on Thursday, August 26. We recognize that this is a unique moment to be joining the University and our event will allow you to build connections with new colleagues, develop networks, and learn about the resources at UConn that will help support your future success. New Faculty Orientation will be led by staff from the Provost’s Office, Human Resources, and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
New Faculty Orientation will include scholarly and organizational resources you may need in your first year at UConn and beyond. We will include content and sessions with key individuals and units involved in developing the thriving teaching and research environment here at UConn, as well as familiarizing you with several everyday resources.
New faculty will also attend a second day of orientation covering University policy, compliance, safety, and diversity and inclusion information through the University’s learning management system, Learning@Work. You will be notified of the course assignment through your UConn email after your hire date.
We look forward to welcoming you! If you have any questions related to the event, please do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presentation Materials and Videos
- New Employee Welcome Video from President Katsouleas
- New Faculty Welcome Video from President Katsouleas
- Morning session Video
- Strengthening Scholarly Communities and Research Networks Video
- Building Foundations for Teaching and Learning Success Video
- Building Foundations for Teaching and Learning Success Presentation
- Promotion Tenure and Reappointment Overview Video
- Non-Tenure Track Promotion and Reappointment Overview Video
- New Faculty Payroll Presentation
- New Faculty Benefits and Retirement Presentation 2020
- Office of Human-Resources Presentation
- University Policies and Faculty Consulting Presentation
Virtual Backpack Materials
- 2019-2020 Fact Sheet
- UConn Acronyms_
- Textbook Ordering 101
- OIE What To Do
- UConn Accessibility Brochure
- Sexual Violence Brochure
- Essential_IT for New Faculty
- UConn Library
- Enrichment Programs Overview
- Learning Communities
- Center for Career Development Overview
- Veterans Affairs and Military Programs Brochure
- American Association of University Professors
- Global Affairs Factsheet
- Avery Point Campus
- Research Brochure