New Faculty Orientation
August 20, 2020
Welcome to UConn!
As a new member of UConn’s community of more than 2,000 faculty members, you are joining one of the nation’s top public research universities at an exciting time. Founded in 1881 as Connecticut’s land-grant institution, UConn has grown from humble origins to become a dynamic enterprise. We serve more than 30,000 students on our Storrs and regional campuses at Avery Point, Hartford, Stamford, and Waterbury, as well as our law school and UConn Health, our academic medical center.
Over the past 25 years, thanks in large part to a series of major investments by the state of Connecticut, UConn has grown both physically and in academic stature. We have added state-of-the-art research facilities, teaching spaces, and student housing, while attracting the most diverse and academically accomplished student body in university history and enhancing the size and quality of a distinguished faculty. As we look to the future, we are pursuing ever-higher standards of excellence while remaining true to the core values of public higher education we have embraced since our founding. Our faculty will define our future, and we are excited to have you with us for the journey.
Thomas Katsouleas, President
John Elliott, Provost
About New Faculty Orientation
New Faculty Orientation is a one-day event held on August 20, 2020. Combining staff from the Provost’s Office, Human Resources, and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, we have designed the day to provide you with a broad overview of resources, both scholastic and logistic, to set you on the path to success.
You will be in contact with the key people involved in developing the thriving teaching and research environment here at UConn. From the Provost, the Academics Deans, the University Senate to the Offices of Diversity and Inclusion and Institutional Equity, key members will put you in touch with the resources you need for a smooth and successful transition to UConn. The day concludes with break-out sessions and a resource fair involving many of UConn’s logistical units (AAUP, ITS, OneCard, Parking, Prudential Retirement, UConn Bookstore, etc.) that can help you get started.
We hope that you will join us for what will be a wonderful day of presentations, panels, interactive sessions, and breakout sessions designed to transition you to your new role here at UConn.
- Strengthening Scholarly Communities and Research Networks - Dan Schwartz
- Connection is Prevention: Student Mental Health and the Role of Faculty - Chetan Joshi
- Civility, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Office of Institutional Equity and Office for Diversity and Inclusion - Elizabeth Conklin and Dana Wilder
- Human Resources - Chris Delello
- PTR Overview - John Volin
- Benefits Overview and Payroll Overview - Joanna Smith and Ellen Lowe
- Student Engagement: From the Syllabus to the First Day and Beyond - Suzanne LaFleur
- HuskyCT Basics: Intro and Overview for New Instructors - Dan Facchinetti and Karen Skudlarek